Followers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kitchen Table Redo

I have wanted to paint my kitchen table for over a year now! It was a beautiful natural wood color that matched the cabinets in our first home beautifully. And now our cabinets in this home are much darker. (And I knew my DH would FLIP if I tried to paint the cabinets...he he he.) The table was bought new, but in the last 8 years, it has taken a beating...marker stains, fork stabs, etc. I knew a new dining table was out of the question right now. So I started making plans to paint.

Before:
But I thought I would wait until it warmed up and then I got pregnant and then my DH wouldn't let me paint anymore...at least in large amounts that was noticeable.

So in preparation for Miss Sunny's Baby Blessing I decided I was going to do it...no matter what!

Over several weeks in the cold, cold January in the cold, cold garage, I slowly painted my chairs...one at a time. First, I did a light sanding (I didn't spend too much time on this part.) Then I primed it with a gray spray paint. Then I spray painted it black.
Fortunately, the picture doesn't show my many mistakes. I ran into a little trouble when deciding what to use as a top coat. I tried a couple of different things on a couple different chairs, so in person they look a little different. I really don't like the triple coat clear top spray paint. I may go back some day and fix it, but my dear twins are destroying the chairs faster than I can fix them, so I don't know if it's worth it.
I did the same process on the bottom half and under the table. It isn't perfect looking under there, but I figured no one over the age of 6 is going to be underneath there inspecting my work.

Then I sanded the heck out of the top using a heavy grit, a medium grit, then a fine grit. After a good cleaning I stained it using a stain with a polyurethane (Minwax Polyshades Pecan Gloss) already mixed in. I ended up doing three coats to darken it until I decided I was finally okay with the color.
My final product and I LOVE it!!! I am soooo happy with how it turned out!!! And I've learned a lot about painting and staining. I'm so glad I pushed myself to do this! It has made my kitchen feel a lot more "put together." At least to me...and that is what matters, isn't it?!

I'm linking to Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job Mindy! It looks great to me! I know it has been a while, but I never knew all those nifty things that you can do. It reminds me why you were such a great friend, and you have inspired me to get up and finish my list for today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job indeed - the black makes such a huge difference. Very classy, and a job well done! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its beautiful Mindy! I really am becoming a big fan of black accents. My counter tops are almost black and I LOVE them. There are multi colors in them but they are my favorite ever. I love what you did and would never have thought to do that. Our table needs a makeover and that is an understatement. The top needs to be sanded down though as Sam's need for using tools to take things apart have also been used to dig deep gouges into the wood. Its very artistic. I tell myself that every time I use the table to roll out dough and the flour gets stuck in the grooves! :)

    ReplyDelete