Followers

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Beef and Broccoli

I am not a huge Chinese fan, but my family LOVES it. I make stir-fry (from a bagged seasoned veggie mix) and some teriyaki chicken...but that's about it. A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for beef and broccoli and I remembered trying it once and liking it. But it called for some weird ingredients including oyster sauce. I don't know about you, but I don't just keep oyster sauce on hand. So I did a little research and found a fairly easy looking recipe that didn't have any "weird" ingredients. So I printed it so I could try something new. And just my luck the round steak it called for was on sale at my grocery store this week for $1.99/lb!

Here is a recap of the original recipe and the changes I made:

In a large measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 14 oz. can beef broth and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Stir until dissolved.

In a large skillet or wok over high heat, cook and stir 1-2 lbs (I used closer to 2 lbs. because we like beef) round steak 2-4 min. until browned. Stir in broth mixture, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I might go a little more than this), and 1 clove minced garlic (I might go a little more than this also) and 4 cups broccoli. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. Simmer 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens.

Minced garlic: I don't buy garlic cloves...I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge...It's AWESOME!

I thought it was REALLY good! However, I tend to like a less spicy, more bland foods. Hubby thought it was good. Next time I make this, and YES, I am going to make this again. I am going to try more garlic and ginger powder and maybe a little black pepper. To make it more spicy you could add some red pepper flakes.

We had this with white rice and pineapple. Sometime I should try making Chinese noodles, never made those before.

Mr. L loved it...he's is a broccoli lover! Mr. S ate the rice and pineapple, but wouldn't touch the meat or broccoli (but I had to go to a meeting so I didn't have time to sit and work with him.) And Little Miss ate everything except the broccoli. I wish I could get her to eat broccoli! It can be so good!

For dessert we had angel food cake with peaches (that I froze from my tree last fall) and Cool Whip. I couldn't tell if it wast the cheap store bought angel food cake or the peaches, but it didn't taste quite right. Oh well.

Saturday's REAL MOM'S DINNER: We were out doing family things so we stopped at Wendy's. We really don't usually eat out every Saturday night...just lately!

1 comment:

  1. I tried chinese noodles a few weeks ago for the first time. I tried to fry them so they were crispy. Didn't work. Don't know what I didn wrong but I wasn't a fan.

    ReplyDelete