Followers

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dinner- Cooking Asparagus


I am trying really hard to branch out in my cooking. I have been stuck in a rut for years! My kids will only eat certain veggies and my son's speech therapist highly suggested trying different types of veggies other than green beans, peas, carrots, and corn (and some occasional broccoli).

I know that if cooked right asparagus can be quite tasty.

The problem is I've never been able to make it taste good.

But it was on sale.

So I branched out and bought a small bunch.

Only cooked half the bunch -9 stems to be exact. Steamed it and smothered it with real butter.

It turned out good. Hubby, Mr. L, and I ate it. Mr. S (the picky one) picked at it, and Little Miss wouldn't touch it.

Still had 2 stems left over.

Have enough to try again for another dinner this week.

Maybe Little Miss will picked at it this time and Mr. S will actually put it in his mouth! :)

As for our main course we had French Dip Sandwiches. I bought kaiser rolls from the store bakery for the buns. My new fave way to make the meat...I use to buy deli roast beef and a packet of au jus. But one day I tried the Hormel Beef Roast (it is just the beef.) I microwave it, shred it, drain out the au jus into cups and wa-lah! It is $5, but I often can find coupons for it in the Sunday paper or online for a $1 off. It can be a tiny bit dry, but that is what the au jus is for. One suggestion is to top it with sauteed peppers and onions and cheese, but I've never done that.

1 comment:

  1. Mindy I LOVE your new blog. I also love your "real mom's dinner". I might be stealing some ideas. I have a long list of foods we eat but it always seems like I end up making the same ones I know everyone will eat (minus me - I am not terribly fond of most of what everyone else loves). I like the idea for the french dip sandwiches. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete